Quick Notes to share. I started to learn Cucumber and following the book “The Cucumber Book” and the notes on installations are ok – but Microsoft loves to be a brat and bug out.
So I tried many versions and it seems the best version now for Windows is:
This is all you need.
REMOVING OLDER VERSION:
If you did install – go through Programs & Features to remove Ruby.
In the Registry – I searched for two things:
1. Ruby (I removed ANY instance/folder containing the version: “C:\Ruby187” as an example.
2. Ansicon you will find one entry in an AutoRun – kill that too.
STEPS TO INSTALL AND MOVE ON WITH LEARNING
1. Download 2.0.0-p643 and run the rubyinstaller-2.0.0-p643.exe
2. Download Devkit versioned to Ruby.
3. Run the DevKit-mingw64-32-4.7.2-20130224-1151-sfx.exe
a) I install to c:\Ruby200\Devkit
b) cmd (command line) c:\Ruby200\Devkit
c) ruby dk.rb init
d) verify the config.yml (using Notepad ++) // It should only contain the Ruby instance c:\Ruby187
e) You’ll see “Initialization Complete!”
4. Install jason
a) gem install json –platform=ruby
b) results will fetch the json gem and build.
c) ruby -rubygems -e “require ‘json’; puts JSON.load(‘’).inspect”
d) result 
5. Install cucumber and rspec gems
gem install cucumber –no-ri –no-rdoc
gem install rspec –no-ri –no-rdoc
Continue with your learning